riaksearch memory growth issues

Gordon Tillman gtillman at mezeo.com
Sat May 28 07:01:41 EDT 2011


Howdy Dan,

We have a app under development that runs under Apache/mod_wsgi and which uses the python client to connect to Riaksearch (using protocol buffer interface).  The objects that we store in Riak are small (less than 1kB).  They are stored as JSON in a search-enabled bucket.  A subset of the fields in the objects are indexed via the search schema that we have installed for that bucket.

For us reproducing the issue is just doing some load testing against the app.  If it would be helpful I will see if I can arrange to make something available to you.

Thanks a bunch!

--gordon


On May 27, 2011, at 21:22 , Dan Reverri wrote:

What are the steps to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Reverri
Developer Advocate
Basho Technologies, Inc.
dan at basho.com<mailto:dan at basho.com>


On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Gordon Tillman <gtillman at mezeo.com<mailto:gtillman at mezeo.com>> wrote:
Gilbert I will do that and post the results.  Have restarted the cluster but it is really easy to reproduce the issue.

Thanks!

--gordon


On May 27, 2011, at 20:10 , Gilbert Glåns wrote:

> Gordon,
> Could you try:
>
> erlang:process_info(list_to_pid("<0.16614.32>"), [messages,
> current_function, initial_call, links, memory, status]).
>
> in a riak search console for one/some of those mailboxes and share the
> results? I am curious to see if you are having the same systemic
> memory consumption I am experiencing.
>
> Gilbert
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Gordon Tillman <gtillman at mezeo.com<mailto:gtillman at mezeo.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy Gang,
>>
>> We are having a bit of an issue with our 3-node riaksearch cluster.  What is happing is this:
>>
>> Cluster is up and running.  We start testing our application against it.  As the application runs the erlang process consumes more and more memory without ever releasing it.
>>
>> In trying to investigate the issue we ran the riaksearch-admin cluster_info command.  It appears that the bulk of this memory is being consumed by a bunch of mailboxes.
>>
>> I have posted both the output of the cluster_info command and the app.config from one of the nodes here:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/996419
>>
>> I would be very grateful if someone from Basho would take a look at the cluster_info and see if they can spot anything obvious.
>>
>> Each machine in the cluster has an 8-core Xeon and 16GB RAM.  I believe all of the platform details, etc., are in the cluster_info dump.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> --gordon
>> _______________________________________________
>> riak-users mailing list
>> riak-users at lists.basho.com<mailto:riak-users at lists.basho.com>
>> http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com


_______________________________________________
riak-users mailing list
riak-users at lists.basho.com<mailto:riak-users at lists.basho.com>
http://lists.basho.com/mailman/listinfo/riak-users_lists.basho.com


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/attachments/20110528/70520450/attachment.html>


More information about the riak-users mailing list