riak not starting, Reason: {badmatch,already_exists}

David Mitchell David.Mitchell at IXICorp.com
Tue May 31 15:03:58 EDT 2011

Hi Dan,

Yes, it has been built from source, and it was running.

We got it from git://github.com/basho/riak.git in Februrary: Riak 0.14.0, aka "Dakota."

We installed from http://erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B04.tar.gz

OK,I undid the "root:root" change.

Yes, there is some data.  I was writing to the second instance, and the data was propagated from the second instance to the other two instances.  My map/reduce functions were very slow, and I was getting error on the first instance.  So, I tried to restart the first instance.  Now, the first instance will not start.

Attached are the logs.

Thank you for your help.

David

From: Dan Reverri [mailto:dan at basho.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:38 PM
To: David Mitchell
Cc: riak-users at lists.basho.com
Subject: Re: riak not starting, Reason: {badmatch,already_exists}

Hi David,

Can you confirm you have built Riak from source? What branch/tag are you using? What version of Erlang are you using?

I would suggest undoing the "root:root" ownership change. Do you have any data in the Riak instance or is this a fresh install? How are you starting Riak (the exact command)? Can you provide the full set of log files from the node?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Reverri
Developer Advocate