JSON / PB ?

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:37:51 EST 2011

Like Jeff said, PB is going to get you a performance boost across the wire since you're sending less data. You introduce a dependency on a ProtocolBuffers library, but you'd have that anyway in most languages when using JSON.

The main benefit of JSON are that you can write JavaScript MR jobs without introducing an extra dependency.

In the end, I think Jeff makes the better suggestion: treat each communication in isolation. Communicate between the web server and the client in the best way possible and communicate between the web server and Riak in the most efficient way possible.

Ultimately, though, do what makes sense for your team. I hate to give you vague advice, but do what makes sense now and then optimize when it becomes a problem.
---
Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP