Problem installing Riak Python client

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Thu Nov 10 11:51:09 EST 2011

On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:25 AM, Nitish Sharma wrote:
Hi,
> I am trying to install Riak's python client library using Pip. But it throws an IOError while installing: IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'protobuf/setup.py'. Apparently, a lot of guys are facing the same problem. The problem is that the latest version of Protobuf (2.4.1) has moved setup.py from /setup.py to /python/setup.py.
> There is already an issue raised for Riak: https://github.com/basho/riak-python-client/issues/19.
> Any suggestions how to specify correct path of setup.py to Pip?

Easiest route is to install protobuf-2.3.0 from Riak's page using easy_install. Pip can't install .eggs.

http://downloads.basho.com/support/

Or, you can hack around in Google's 2.4.1 to get all the setup paths right.

BTW, are there any plans for the Riak python client to use the protobuf C library directly via ctypes? The pure python implementation of protobuf seems a little slow.

-Nate