best practices for testing eventual consistency?

Jesse Myers jesse at locationlabs.com
Tue Nov 15 13:23:30 EST 2011

I'm contemplating migrating a write-intensive system from MySQL to Riak.

I understand the eventual consistency model and the need to resolve
conflicts in application code, especially if allow_mult is true. My
concern is that I won't discover all of the conflict scenarios my
application code needs to handle until after we're live in production.
Are there best practices for producing conflicts in development
environment? Is my best option to simulate a large amount of load and
see what happens? Should I lower my R or W values? Kill off nodes
randomly?

Related question: I'd like to write unit tests for conflict scenarios
I anticipate/encounter. Do any of the client libraries come with good
mock support or is that something I need to roll myself?

Thanks,

Jesse