Can't start second node in local machine

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 14:59:09 EST 2011

There are no books about Riak, yet. Mathias Meyer wrote a NoSQL handbook that has a chapter about Riak, but I've never read it. Seven Databases in Seven Weeks is rumored to contain a chapter about Riak, but it's just in a planning stage, I believe. You can search the mailing list archives through markmail: http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Acom.basho.lists.riak-users

The Fast Track doesn't do anything hidden, it uses `make` and `rebar` to create a 4 node cluster by copying the configuration and binary folders. You can see what happens by looking in the Makefile for the devrel section. It's pretty dull and it just copies configuration around with some magic to change the port numbers.

I can appreciate wanting to manually configure Riak and all, but keep in mind that having multiple Riak nodes on the same physical machine is not recommended for production use. The only thing that you're going to be change is the name you're using for the node. When in doubt, take the path of least resistance.

If you're still intent on doing all of this by hand, you need to make sure that you also change the handoff_port and pb_port in the node configuration file. When I run a diff on my node1 and node2 config files, I see the following:

$ diff dev1/etc/app.config dev2/etc/app.config
11c11
<               {http, [ {"0.0.0.0", 8091 } ]},
---
>               {http, [ {"0.0.0.0", 8092 } ]},
15c15
<               %{https, [{ "0.0.0.0", 8091 }]},
---
>               %{https, [{ "0.0.0.0", 8092 }]},
26c26
<               {handoff_port, 8101 },
---
>               {handoff_port, 8102 },
55c55
<             {pb_port, 8081 },
---
>             {pb_port, 8082 },

HTH

---
Jeremiah Peschka - Founder, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP