Question: {error,{error,insufficient_vnodes_available}}

Dan Reverri dan at basho.com
Tue Nov 29 14:32:39 EST 2011

Hi Walter,

It is not recommended to run more than 1 node per machine. Also, creating a
new node by copying/pasting an existing node is not a good idea.

Were you seeing "insufficient vnodes" before you tried adding nodes?
Was the node under any load? MapReduce, ListKeys, etc.
What does "riak-admin status" return on the original node?
What does "riak-admin ring_status" return on the original node?
What does "riak-admin "member_status" return on the original node?

I am concerned that the addition of copied nodes may be creating additional
issues. I would recommend getting the cluster back to a steady state with a
single node. Once this is complete we can review the issues and determine
what the problem might be.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Reverri