native erlang client on non-Riak node?

Michael Radford mrad at blorf.com
Tue Apr 3 12:43:08 EDT 2012

Is it OK to use Riak's native erlang client from an erlang node that's
connected to a Riak cluster via normal erlang distribution
(net_adm:ping etc.), but isn't participating in the Riak cluster?  I'm
wondering if e.g. Riak makes any assumptions about nodes listed in
nodes(), or the nodes of processes running client code, that would
break if a node isn't running Riak.

I'm trying to figure out a fallback strategy in case I can't resolve
performance issues I'm seeing with the protocol buffers client (see
other thread about slow searches).  The scariest option would be to
run my application on the same nodes as Riak, which seems like it
would complicate operations too much.  Or if
connected-but-not-participating nodes aren't a good idea, maybe my
application nodes could each start a slave node with -hidden, which
would then connect to Riak and act as a proxy?

Mike