Updates to various Riak-related projects

Jon Brisbin jon at jbrisbin.com
Tue Apr 3 15:24:59 EDT 2012

I hope everyone who attended Erlang Factory learned a lot and had fun. I'm bummed I missed it. :/ Ah well!

I spent some time recently fixing a couple bugs that were hanging out in some projects of mine that are Riak-related. Mostly I wanted to freshen them and update them to use the latest riak_core. They include example apps that are basically my own notebooks on how to invoke a riak_core vnode using various methods:

SockJS (using Cowboy) -> riak_core:
https://github.com/jbrisbin/sockjs-riak_core-vnode-dispatcher

Misultin (plain HTTP, no websockets) -> riak_core:
https://github.com/jbrisbin/misultin-riak-core-vnode-dispatcher

RabbitMQ/AMQP -> riak_core:
https://github.com/jbrisbin/rabbitmq-riak_core-vnode-dispatcher

I've done some preliminary load testing of the HTTP-related dispatchers and they can really take a lot of punishment. I was running out of resources on my box to throw at a two-process riak_core ring that were load-balancing up to 1,000 simultaneous requests across all available vnodes in that cluster. I killed one of the processes during the test and lost one round of requests (those that were actively connected to that node when I killed it) but the other 10's of thousands went through without a hiccup.

These examples are very simplistic. One could extend them and implement handoff and coverage functionality, which would be really cool to have in a web app.

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
http://about.me/jonbrisbin