slow mapred_search key lookups for single terms

Bryan Fink bryan at basho.com
Fri Apr 6 08:56:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Bryan Fink <bryan at basho.com> wrote:
> This *might* be the wrong intuition for Search, since there is
> funneling happening to process the query anyway, but it's likely a
> good place to start.

Whoops.  I *really* should have included a suggestion for how to
figure out whether this is the case, or if it is PB related.  The most
straightforward test will be to run the same query one more time, but
this time use the `riak_kv_mrc_pipe` module.  Attach to the Riak
console, just as you did for the internal-cluster client test, but
instead of

    {ok, Client} = riak:local_client(),
    Client:mapred(Inputs, Phases).

use instead

    riak_kv_mrc_pipe:mapred(Inputs, Phases).

If that is also much slower than the native client, then the problem
is not with the PB interface.  If it's nearly on-par, then the PB
interface needs inspection.

-Bryan