Riak Disk Usage

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Tue Apr 17 10:06:38 EDT 2012

Fabio,

If you are using Bitcask (the default storage engine), it won't compact its
data files until they reach the 2GB default max file size. Since your disk
space is constrained, I suggest you tune the max_file_size down (128-256MB
should be sufficient for your purposes) and merging threshold/triggers.
More info about those settings can be found on this page:
http://wiki.basho.com/Bitcask.html#Disk-Usage-and-Merging-Settings

Hope that helps!

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Fábio Sato <fabiosato at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've started using Riak as a data store for images and documents and I'm
> having trouble understanding its disk usage behaviour.
>
> We developed a web system and unfortunately it went into production
> without the appropriate hardware infrastructure, and we are currently
> running only one instance of Riak right now (I know this is dead wrong but
> I'm waiting for more hardware).
>
> Currently we have like 100 keys and update their content every 5 minutes.
> Every image has approximately 300kB so I would expect a disk usage around
>  300MB-1GB and also that riak would keep it constant. But every 2 weeks we
> get a full filesystem (10GB) and have to restart Riak (or temporally add
> another instance) to make it release space.
>
> To me it seems like it is maintaining the previous values for each key
> like a versioning system, but can't confirm that based on what I've read on
> the documentation.
>
> Could someone give me a hint why the disk space grows even if I'm not
> adding no new keys?
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> --