Updating data in a production setup

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Tue Apr 17 11:45:16 EDT 2012

Hi Vijayakumar,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 2:57 AM, vijayakumar <forgetvijay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   As our application moves from one release to another, we need to alter
> the existing records in riak [Say changes like adding new field to the json
> with a default value]. What's the ideal way to handle such schema changes
> (if indexing is required for such fields). Is it possible to run a
> mapreduce on existing buckets and update the records? I am not find any
> help links for the above mentioned migration.
> Riak Version:1.1

The short answer is "yes, that's possible". That said, at the moment I'm
not aware of any existing code/resources that could walk you through it.
Anyone have anything they can share?

Keep in mind that running something like this over all your data is going
to put a lot of load on your cluster and might lead to some timeouts and
interesting debugging. Out of curiosity, how many keys do you need to
update?

Mark