Riak Adoption - What can we do better?

Paul Gross pgross at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:20:15 EDT 2012

Riak is a breeze to host and maintain, but more difficult to develop
against than other NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB and Redis). I think it
would help adoption to close the developer gap. This includes things like:

1. Add other data types like lists and sets. With lists, features like
blocking pop would be great. MongoDB also has capped collections which
keep a fixed number of documents.

2. Improve secondary indexes. Add indexes to existing documents without
writing them all one by one. Allow querying by multiple indexes. Maybe
even allow secondary index lookups to return the documents, rather than
requiring separate GETs for each key.

3. Add an easy way to delete a bucket.

4. Add the concept of ordering (without having to fall back to
map/reduce). It's difficult to do paging without ordering, and most
webapps require it. In general, paging in RIak is hard, since there's no
concept of a range of results from a secondary index.

Thanks,
Paul
www.pgrs.net