Riak Adoption - What can we do better?

Paul Gross pgross at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 13:29:45 EDT 2012

>> 4. Add the concept of ordering (without having to fall back to
>> map/reduce). It's difficult to do paging without ordering, and most
>> webapps require it. In general, paging in RIak is hard, since
>> there's no concept of a range of results from a secondary index.
> I thought there were range queries for secondary indices
>
> http://wiki.basho.com/Secondary-Indexes.html#Range-Query
>
> I don't think that it guarantees ordering but you can grab a range.
In order to do paging, you really need a way to grab a set number of
items in order. For example, give me the first 25 documents that match
this secondary index. Or give me 25 documents starting at document 50 in
the ordered list.

Today, we're working around this by grabbing all of the items and doing
the paging client side (in javascript). That obviously won't scale past
a few hundred items, however.

Thanks,
Paul
www.pgrs.net