SV: Latency

Jens Rantil jens.rantil at telavox.se
Fri Apr 27 04:34:51 EDT 2012

Hi Alek,

I think someone else is more suited to answer the question about why it is in this particular order. My guess is that, in general, an insert will not do any read, an read will have to consolidate reads from multiple (R) machines and an update will perform a read and then a write. However, do note that the might be in a different order of latency depending on what consistency requirements (see below) you send to them, how big the objects are etc.

Note that you can tune both your writes (that is, both inserts and updates) using W and dW (see http://wiki.basho.com/HTTP-Store-Object.html) and your GETs using R (see http://wiki.basho.com/HTTP-Fetch-Object.html) depending on your consistency requirements. So, if you could live with getting slightly older data, but would like to get it really fast, your should set R=1 for GETs.

For more information about eventual consistency, have a look here: http://wiki.basho.com/Eventual-Consistency.html

Regards,
Jens