riak failed to start up

Joseph Blomstedt joe at basho.com
Wed Aug 8 02:30:14 EDT 2012

The error you're getting is related to "riak_core_capability" which
didn't exist in Riak until Riak 1.2.0. It looks like you somehow ended
up installing Riak 1.2 RC1, not Riak 1.1.4. Keep in mind that RC1 was
the first "release candidate" (hence the RC) and there were a total of
7 RCs before we release the final version of Riak 1.2. All RCs before
RC7 had major release blocking bugs. There was a capabilities related
bug that was fixed in the later RCs, so you're likely hitting a
capabilities bug that has since been fixed.

Please either re-install Riak 1.1.4, or install the now officially
released Riak 1.2.0. This should hopefully fix your issue.

Regards,
Joe