How to profile a cluster of Riak nodes

Ryan Zezeski rzezeski at basho.com
Thu Aug 9 12:12:48 EDT 2012

Amir,

Are you using one node to run basho bench?  If so, have you tried running
multiple basho bench instances on separate nodes (or tried other benchmark
tools)?  There could be many reasons for your plateau but I would first
rule out that your not maxing out the basho bench instance or the node it
is running on.

It also would help to know the hardware, any modifications to your
app.config, and the basho bench config you are running.

As for profiling tools, everyone has there favorite but some that come to
mind:

1. boundary - We've had much success internally at Basho using Boundary to
view network traffic.

2. iostat - Run it continuously at 1s intervals and watch for spikes.

3. vmstat - Look for paging.

Finally, we've noticed that a lot of users run horrible OS settings such as
non-zero swappines and other such things which make a database server
unhappy.  See this link: http://wiki.basho.com/LevelDB.html#Tuning-LevelDB

-Z