LevelDB memory problem crashes Erlang

leonickel leonickel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:36:42 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm facing a weird problem using eleveldb store option data. The amount of
memory starts to increase while i'm running a script to put data inside
riak, nearly 10 million of keys in a single bucket and suddenly riak process
crashes. My object is in json format and is about 1.5 kb each. At the
momment of running script, the proccess memory (beam.smp) increases to about
450mb and then the Erlang crashes. I've got this message on logs:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  std::bad_alloc
Erlang has closed
/usr/lib/riak/lib/os_mon-2.2.9/priv/bin/memsup: Erlang has closed.

In my script i'm using java client and sending requests over http protocol.

Here are some more information about my environment and riak configs:

- erlang version: R14B03;
- os: Ubuntu 11.04;

- single node;
- n_val = 1 (i've tried default value 3 and got the same behavior);
- ring_creation_size = 64
- allow_mult = false;
- last_write_wins = true;
- r = 1;
- w = 1;

I've done the same test using bitcask configuration and works fine, i could
put all my 10 million keys.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance,

Leo