Riak Search. Indexing special chars. Internal Server Error.

Vladimir Shapovalov shapovalov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 06:24:43 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to put some data in a bucket, witch has indexing enabled.
One key value has a special char ß (geman
S-sharp<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9F>).
It is UTF-8 encoded.

The errror message i get:

Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an error while processing
this request:

{error,
    {error,badarg,
        [{erlang,iolist_to_binary,
             [{hook_crashed,
                  {riak_search_kv_hook,precommit,error,function_clause}}]},
         {wrq,append_to_response_body,2},
         {riak_kv_wm_object,handle_common_error,3},
         {webmachine_resource,resource_call,3},
         {webmachine_resource,do,3},
         {webmachine_decision_core,resource_call,1},
         {webmachine_decision_core,accept_helper,0},
         {webmachine_decision_core,decision,1}]}}

mochiweb+webmachine web server

Could anyone tell me please, how to store data special chars included correctly?

How to deal with non ASCII chars in Riak, say coming from Russian or
German languages?

And why it causes riak_search_kv_hook to crash?

Thanks in Advance!

Vladimir