Riak taking up lots memory on a write heavy bucket?

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Aug 22 18:41:13 EDT 2012

Sorry for the late response here, Metin.

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Metin Akat <akat.metin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have a bucket with allow_mult=false, last_write_wins=true.  I use it to
> store text files (up to 1 megabyte of text). Some of these objects are write
> heavy. The application overwrites them several times a minute (at times).
> Now I see my dev riak node (where I'm still developing the feature) is
> taking up 450M of reserved memory. Is this normal? is this caused by the
> bucket/objects in question? Is it dangerous, will it start eating even more
> memory, or will it auto balance itself (seems likely for now)? How can I
> diagnose what is taking up this memory? Riaknostic doesn't show anything of
> particular interest.
> Also, what are the correct settings to be used for such kind of buckets?
> It's storing data of no high value (n_val=1) which is autoexpiring
> (bitcask). It is also indexed in riak search. (btw, is the search index for
> an object auto deleted when that object expires?).

So, as far as the memory usage goes, it's hard to say. If you were
using vector clocks, I would say you were creating a huge object via
crazy sibling generation. That said, with lww enabled, it's hard to
say.  A few questions:

* What size machines are in your dev cluster? How many?
* The "riak-admin cluster_info" utility [0] might be useful here. Can
you run that and send along the results?

Mark

[0] http://wiki.basho.com/Command-Line-Tools---riak-admin.htm (towards
the bottom)