Riak Recap for August 16 - 26

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Mon Aug 27 14:38:22 EDT 2012

Morning, Evening, Afternoon to All -

Big Recap for today: code, blogs, slides, meetups galore, and more.

Enjoy. And go register for RICON (ricon2012.com) if you haven't
already done so.

Mark
twitter.com/pharkmillups
-----------------------------------

Riak Recap for August 16 - 26
======================

1) Dave Parfitt got a little crazy and started tinkering with a Riak
OCaml client.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/metadave/riak-ocaml-client

2) Dave also spent some time hacking prelimary Riak support into YCSB.

* Still very beta ---> https://github.com/metadave/YCSB/tree/master/riak

3) The crew at Puppet Labs is offering a bounty for a Riak module.
We're also throwing in a RICON ticket for the eventual winner.

* Details here --->
http://puppetlabs.com/blog/puppet-module-bounty-logstash-riak-and-graphite/

4) Sebastian Cohnen wrote a blog post on how to go about upgrading
from 0.14 to 1.2

* Read here --->  http://tisba.de/2012/08/20/migrating-riak-from-0-14-2-to-1-2/

5) There's a new SF Riak Meetup on the calendar. This one is happening
on September 5th and will feature Andy Gross and Shanley Kane going
in-depth on Riak 1.2.

* Details here --->
http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Riak-Meetup/events/78766672/

6) We announced a Riak Meetup in London happening this Wednesday.
(I'll be on hand for this one.)

* Register here ---> http://www.meetup.com/riak-london/events/79190462/

7) AND there will be a Riak Meetup in Leeds on September 19th.

* Details here ---> http://www.meetup.com/Leeds-Riak/events/78269232/

8) Tom Santero gave a talk at the NYC Devops Meetup all about Riak and
how Basho does DevOps.

* Slides here (including a picture of our CEO shelling out cash for
RAM) ---> https://speakerdeck.com/u/tsantero/p/devops-at-basho

9) Tom has been busy. He gave a talk called "The Persistence of Data"
a few days before that at another NYC Meetup.

* Slides here ---> https://speakerdeck.com/u/tsantero/p/the-persistence-of-data

10) We added Nimbuzz to the production users page:

* Details here ---> http://basho.com/company/production-users/#user-nimbuzz

11) Casey Rosenthal has some experimental code on GitHub that uses
Ripple to for calculating rolling averages.

* Check it out here ---> https://github.com/clr/riak-rolling-average

12) Riak-shim just hit 0.12.

* Latest here --->  https://twitter.com/rubygems/status/237731085201584128

13) OJ Reeves releases version 0.2.3.0 of CorrugatedIron, the .NET
Client that he, Jeremiah Peschka, and a few others hack on. Keep an
eye on this code...

* Details here ---> http://www.nuget.org/packages/CorrugatedIron

14) John Glick spent some time channeling Larry Wall and released a
bit of experimental code that lets you work with Riak's configs from
the command line.

* Code here --->   https://github.com/glickbot/riak-conf

15) Rodrigo De Castro wrote his fourth piece on Riak for DZone. This
one updates a few examples from "Seven Databases in Seven Weeks" to
run against Riak 1.2.

* Read here ---> http://java.dzone.com/articles/riak-updated-examples-seven

16) If all goes to plan, Riak will be shipping with Fedora 18.

* Latest progress here --->  http://stg.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Riak

17) Kaspar Tidemann wrote up a quick blog post on work coming to Riak-js.

* Read here ---> http://www.kaspertidemann.com/future-development-of-riak-js/

18) Matthew Eernisse added Riak support to his "models" JavaScript ORM.

* Start here ---> https://twitter.com/mde/status/239454007578468352

19) Lei Gu wrote up a Riak HTTP API cheat sheet on his blog.

* Post here --->
http://2rdscreenretargeting.blogspot.com/2012/08/riak-http-api-cheat-sheet.html

20) Jean-Michel Lacroix has a proposal out for a Riak talk at ConFoo
happening next year in Montreal.

* He needs your votes --->
http://confoo.ca/fr/call-for-papers/speaker/jean-michel-lacroix

21 ) Some Q & A from Stack Overflow:

* Riak search queries via the java client --->
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12038307/riak-search-queries-via-the-java-client
* Riak php client exiting on store() --->
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12024710/riak-php-client-exiting-on-store