Node will not leave cluster

Swinney, Austin Austin at vimeo.com
Wed Jun 6 11:03:01 EDT 2012

Hi Dave,

I'm no expert, however, I using riak (1.1.1 2012-03-07) RedHat x86_64.

I typically issue the leave command for the node.  When:

--  all it's Ownership Handoffs (riak-admin ring_status) are done
--  it is at 0.0% in both Ring and Pending in `riak-admin member_status`
--  tailing the log on the node ( /var/log/riak/console.log ) stops showing handoffs

Then I take it to be done leaving.  The documentation says, "When all data is handed off, the Erlang VM process eventually exits."  But in my experience with this version, that never happens.  Maybe I'm just too impatient?

So I do that manually:

-- stop the node's riak on the node with `riak stop`
-- from another node, mark it as down (riak-admin down riak at xxx.x.x.xx<mailto:riak at xxx.x.x.xx>)

Then it stays in the down list of hosts.

I'm probably doing this all wrong and just clarifying how NOT to do it.  :-P

Best Regards,

Austin