make all devrel wierdness

Marv Lush marv_lush at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 14:09:56 EDT 2012

I went through the basic setup for setting up a 4 node cluster on 1 box...via standard means for CentOS:

1. install erlang
2. install build-tools etc.
3. unpack riak source
4. make all devrel
5. start all nodes
6. join all nodes onto node 1

but I can't connect to the cluster.

Well, oddly enough I can connect if I use the curl command in the instructions...using 127.0.0.1/stats. But when I try to connect remotely...or even on the *same* box, only using the actual IP instead of 127.0.0.1...it refuses to connect. There are no iptable rules on this box.

Here is output from trying to execute curl using actual ip first, then localhost next.

==========================

[riak at dev-riak1 dev]$ /sbin/ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:10.128.56.63
           .
           .
           .

[riak at dev-riak1 dev]$ curl -H "Accept: text/plain" http://10.128.56.63:8091/stats
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

[riak at dev-riak1 dev]$ curl -H "Accept: text/plain" http://127.0.0.1:8091/stats
{
    "vnode_gets": 0,
    "vnode_puts": 0,
    "vnode_index_reads": 0,
    "vnode_index_writes": 0,
    "vnode_index_writes_postings": 0,

Trying to connect remotely I get the same thing from different client, curl , rest client, browser, etc.

Any ideas? Is there some extra configuration for the dev cluster setup needed to get it to answer remote requests? Did I miss something obvious?

Thanks,

/m