Link walking with Erlang riak client

Morgan Segalis msegalis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:35:23 EDT 2012

Hi everyone !

I'm looking for a NoSQL solution to get ride of MySQL.
In this particular issue, I think that Riak is one of the top of my choices in order to do what I'm looking for.

I would like to store all my users into Riak.
I understand that Riak is document oriented, so that's great for getting every information really fast from one user.
One of the feature I'm really interested in, are Links.

Links seems to be a great way for me to create association between users…

When A adds B, I create a link from A to B.
When B accepts A's invitation, I create a link from B to A.

If links are not both ways, e.g. A to B to A, message can not go through (B who didn't accept A should not get its message yet)

My server is coded in Erlang, I have checked the Erlang riak client, and I didn't see something as simple as the HTTP use of Links in the demo.

1 - Are Link walking in Erlang fast & easy ?
2 - Is it possible to check fast if A -> B -> A (still in Erlang)? ('->' represents Links)

Thank you for your help !

Morgan.