what is content type

Mathias Meyer meyer at paperplanes.de
Mon Jun 25 04:16:29 EDT 2012

Anand,

A content type is a cue as to what kind of data you're storing in Riak. The concept is based on Internet media types [1]. The cue may or may not be important to your application to figure out what to do with the data. It's also important for certain Riak features like Riak Search, where you can automatically index data based on it's content type (XML, JSON, etc.). If all you're storing is plain text, you might as well ignore it and store everything as application/octet-stream, but on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to just specify text/plain and have it properly marked as what kind of data it is.

Cheers, Mathias
http://riakhandbook.com

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_media_type