Riak behind a Load Balancer

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Mon Jun 25 07:44:05 EDT 2012

Another typical setup is to have each client node have its own haproxy, and
when Riak nodes are added or removed (not a common occurrence, mind you), a
configuration management tool like Chef/Puppet/cfengine/etc can adjust the
config and signal the process to reload it (I think it's `kill -HUP`). Then
your client code also only ever needs to connect to localhost, and doesn't
have to have itself reconfigured.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:40 AM, Samuel Elliott <sam at lenary.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Matt Black <matt.black at jbadigital.com>
> wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Does anyone have an opinion on the concept of putting a Riak cluster
> behind
> > a load balancer?
>
> It has been done before. there are various results when searching
> "riak haproxy" in your favourite search engine.
>

> > We wish to be able to automatically add/remove nodes from the cluster, so
> > adding an extra layer at the front is desirable. We should also benefit
> for
> > incoming requests behind shared across all nodes.
> >
> > Can anyone see any drawbacks / problems with doing this?
>
> If your load balancer falls over, what do you do then? Highly
> available may go down the pan. Have more than one would be the obvious
> answer.
>
> What do you do when you want to transparently add more machines to
> your load balancer?
>
> Maybe it might be better to have a list of riak nodes stored in a
> separate registry (I'm thinking something like zookeeper), that your
> application servers can then poll for changes (or even subscribe to
> changes) to the list of servers.
>
> Sam
>

> > Thanks
> > Matt