licenses (was Re: riakkit, a python riak object mapper, has hit beta!(

Andrey V. Martyanov realduke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 05:24:45 EST 2012

Hi Justin,

Sorry for the late response, I didn't  see your message! In fact, I know
the differences between the two. But, what is the profit of using it? Why
don't just use BSD, for example, like many open source projects do. The
biggest minus of LGPL is that many people think that it's the same as GPL
and have problems understanding it. Even your think that I don't know the
difference! :) Why? Because, it's a common practice. A lot of people really
don't know the difference. That's why I said before that (L)GPL is
overcomplicated. If you open the LGPL main page [1], first thing you will
see is "Why you shouldn't use the Lesser GPL for your next library". Is it
normal? It confuses people. There are a lot of profit in pulling back the
changes you've made - a lot of people see it, fix it, comment it, improve
it and so on. Why the license forces me to to that? It shouldn't.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html

Best regards,
Andrey Martyanov