licenses (was Re: riakkit, a python riak object mapper, has hit beta!(

Greg Stein gstein at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 01:21:32 EST 2012

Hey Andrey,

I've spent well over a decade dealing with licensing issues. One thing
that I've learned is that licensing is a personal choice and decision,
and it is nearly impossible to alter somebody's philosophy. I find
people fall into the GPL camp ("free software"), or the Apache/BSD
camp ("permissive / open source"), so I always recommend GPLv3 or
ALv2. (I find people choosing weak reciprocal licenses like LGPL, EPL,
MPL, CDDL, etc should make up their mind and go to GPL or AL)

In any case... license choice and arguments for one over the other is
best left to personal email, rather than a public mailing list like
riak-users. Changing minds doesn't happen on a mailing list :-)

Cheers,
-g