Writing with PW=quorum

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Thu Mar 1 10:56:28 EST 2012

Sorry that this didn't make it to the list, I accidentally sent to Daniel
privately.

In short, PR and PW are checked *before* any read or write is initiated,
so, in the case of a partitioned cluster, the write will never be sent to
the sole primary partition that is available if PW=quorum. On deletes, both
PR and PW will be used/checked, so a delete can also be interrupted by
insufficiently available primary partitions.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM, ivenhov <iwan.daniel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> If I have N=3 and writing with PR=quorum, PW=quorum and there is network
> partitioning so that 2 primary replicas are not available (or are down)
> write will fail. But I guess it's still possible (or rather certain) that
> 3rd primary replica have written that data. Is that correct?
> If that's the case, what's the best way to deal with such a  situation?
> Ideally I would like to delete that entry and make sure it won't be visible
> to other nodes.
> Is that possible? Or would delete fail because PR's quorum is not met? If
> one primary replica came back would next read (for example delete)
> read-repair the entry?
>
> I've read:
> http://riak-users.197444.n3.nabble.com/Absolute-consistency-td3635356.html
>
> but I'm still not sure what to expect.