Using Hybrid SSDs

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:17:02 EST 2012

This is a great question!

Hybrid SSDs like the Momentus XT line are great if you have a finite quantity of frequently accessed data - say you have a 500GB data set where 40GB is "hot" frequently accessed data and the other 460GB is cold, archival data. In this scenario, the Momentus XT is going to perform a lot like an SSD.

On the flip side, if your application is an application that either performs random reads throughout the entire data set OR your application is a write heavy application (e.g. append only log data) OR it's a mix of both, you won't see a lot of benefit from the Momentus XT line and you'd be better served spending your money getting faster drives.

If you need to use the whole drive, then you should spend the money on 15,000RPM drives. They'll perform far faster than the mix of SSD and 7200RPM drives that you find in the Momentus XT. If you don't need the whole drive, buy a smaller 15,000RPM drive.
---
Jeremiah Peschka - Managing Director, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP