riakkit, a python riak object mapper, has hit beta!

Andrey V. Martyanov realduke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 21:35:03 EST 2012

Hi!

Two things force me to avoid using Riakkit: the code is GPL licensed and
non pep8 compliant. So, I cannot fork it and make changes. The code needs
clean up, for example, json module is imported in document.py, but not
used. Riakkit has no conflict resolution logic, it's basically delegate the
work to underlying python client. If I'd like to implement my save method I
need to copy and rewrite more than 150 lines of code mess. What I think the
mapper should do:
1. Serialize the objects to valid json;
2. Deserialize the data back to class instances;
3. Validate the fields data;
4. Track dependencies between models;

Simple example using Riakkit-like syntax;

class Post(Document):

    bucket_name  = 'posts'

    title = types.StringProperty(required=True)
    content = types.StringProperty(required=True)

class Comment(Document):

    bucket_name = 'comments'

    text = types.StringProperty(required=True)
    post = types.IndexReferenceProperty(reference_class=Post,
collection_name='comments')

>>> post = Post('title', 'content')
>>> comment1 = ('comment1', post=post)
>>> comment2 = ('comment2', post=post)
>>> post.is_valid()
True
>> post.serialize()
{
    "key": "post_key",
    "title": "title",
    "content": "content",
    "comments": [
        {
            "key": "comment1_key",
            "text": "comment1"
        },
        {
            "key": "comment2_key",
            "text": "comment2"
        },
    ]
}
>>> post.store()
True
>>> post = Post.get_with_key('post_key')
>>> post.comments
['Post comment1', 'Post comment2']
>>> post_json_data = get_json_data_from_request()
>>> post = Post.deserialize(post_json_data)
>>> post.title
'title'
>>> post.comments
['Post comment1', 'Post comment2']