Questions on configuring public and private ips for riak on ubuntu

Tim Robinson tim at blackstag.com
Sun Mar 4 22:43:18 EST 2012

Hello all,

I have a few questions on networking configs for riak.

I have both a public ip and a private ip for each riak node. I want Riak to communicate over the private ip addresses to take advantage of free bandwidth, but I would also like the option to interface with riak using the public ip's if need be (i.e. for testing / demo's etc).

I'm gathering that the way people to this is by setting up app.config to use ip "0.0.0.0" to listen for all ip's. I'm also gathering vm.args needs to have a unique name in the cluster so I would need to use the hostname for the -name option (i.e. riak at www.fake-node-domain-name-1.com).

My hosts file would contain:

127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain                  localhost
x.x.x.x    www.fake-node-domain-name-1.com        mynode-1

where x.x.x.x is the public ip not the private.

This is where I start to get lost.

As it sits, if I attempt to join using the private ip's i will get the unreachable error - yet I can telnet connect to/from the equivalent nodes.

So I could add a second IP to the hosts file, but since I need to keep the public one as well, how is that riak is going to use the private ips for gissip ring, hinted hand-off, ... etc etc.

There's obviously some networking basics I am missing.

Any guidance from those of you who have done this?

Thanks.
Tim