Dreaded: "inet_tcp",{{badmatch,{error,duplicate_name}}

Robert Lowe rob at iblargz.com
Mon Mar 5 19:22:17 EST 2012

Hi,

Has anyone dealt with this error:

	"Protocol: ~p: register error: ~p~n",["inet_tcp",{{badmatch,{error,duplicate_name}}"

	http://hastebin.com/wucipobiho  - someone else having the same issue

For some reason and I'm not completely sure of the root cause (something to due with epmd is my guess.)

After `riak start` no crash is produced, but any command will see "Node is not up"

However, if you run `riak console`, the crash snippet from above is produced.

What's the resolution for this? Even kill -9'ing all riak related processes don't fix the issue.

Even weirder is after a long while the issue goes away (or so I've seen on my staging environment)

Regards,
 - Rob