worker_limit

Jeremiah Peschka jeremiah.peschka at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 11:23:23 EST 2012

Here's a better question: What does "sufficient capacity" mean?

For example: SQL Server uses this awesome formula: 512 + ((logical CPUs - 4) * 16). In this case I know that "sufficient capacity" with SQL Server means "don't change this number unless you're really really smart".

However, with Riak, I'm even dumber than I am with SQL Server, so I'm not sure how I'd go about determining what sufficient capacity is. In the enterprise space, stray servers laying about with 16 cores isn't that uncommon, not to mention the 80 core monsters that can be had for relatively cheap these days.

So, after rambling, I repeat the question: What does "sufficient capacity" mean?
---
Jeremiah Peschka - Managing Director, Brent Ozar PLF, LLC
Microsoft SQL Server MVP