riak-python-client2, a rewrite of the official client

Russell Brown russell.brown at mac.com
Thu Mar 15 03:31:35 EDT 2012

Hi Shuhao,

On 15 Mar 2012, at 00:30, Shuhao Wu <admin at thekks.net> wrote:

> That would be most appreciated.
>
> I just completed a very bare minimum higher level API that's similar to the current Python client. However, there's still a lot of work to be done. Once again, I'm just one lone student working in my spare time and I can't possibly think of everything. If we want to bring Python up to speed with the rest of the clients, I'll need more people helping me!

Out of interest, why rewrite from scratch? Why not contribute to the existing riak-python-client? Wouldn't it be less effort? And you'd be working with others by default since it already has a few contributors, including a real python luminary in Greg Stein.

The sheer number of hours in the python client make contributing more economical than a total rewrite, don't you think?

Your stated aim of bringing python up to the level of the other clients is a current basho aim, it would be great to work together on this. What do you see as the principal shortcomings of the current client? Can it be fixed?

Cheers

Russell