Ruby eventmachine async client

Sean Cribbs sean at basho.com
Fri Mar 16 16:01:41 EDT 2012

I would love to see a Celluloid::IO-based HTTP/PBC client almost more than
an EM or em-synchrony client. I seem to remember looking at em-http-request
and found its capabilities as an HTTP client lacking in a few important
areas.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM, graphex <gfxlists at graphex.com> wrote:

> Elias Levy wrote
> >
> > If you look at the list archive's you'll see that a while ago I posted
> > some
> > code to monkey patch the Ruby client to use EM Synchrony's TCPSocket so
> as
> > to support EM.
> >
> > You'll find it at
> >
> http://lists.basho.com/pipermail/riak-users_lists.basho.com/2011-November/006308.html
> >

> Ah, I had read that before but didn't notice it was on synchrony. My issue
> is that I've had trouble with riak-ruby-client using PBC with 2i, so I sort
> of wrote it off (see:  https://github.com/basho/riak-ruby-client/issues/17
> https://github.com/basho/riak-ruby-client/issues/17 )
>
> That combined with the short reads issue sort of put me off on that front.
>

> Mathias Meyer wrote
> >
> > I'd recommend looking at #2, it looks like an easy path and should make
> > for a great addition to the riak-ruby-client too. In my ideal world,
> > there'd be a backend based on Faraday [2], so that the Ruby client
> > wouldn't even have to worry about the underlying implementation, but you
> > need to punch Sean Cribbs (very nicely) about that. Or you could just use
> > Faraday instead of em-synchrony all along, since Faraday has a backend
> for
> > em-http/synchrony already.
> >

> That would certainly be nice though I'm unfortunately too low on time to
> take a stab... and I've only looked at Faraday a bit... and synchrony is
> kind of hurting my mind (actually more comfortable with callbacks and
> -gasp-
> curly braces!) Sounds like the best solution, though, and hopefully I can
> circle back on that once I can delegate some of my other tasks to someone.
> For now, i will try out a fiber/iterator approach and fall back to a defer
> if it doesn't go well.
>
> I'm also secretly hoping that someone at basho can hook up the client to an
> em-style backend so it just works like -cough- mongo does.
>
> Thanks for the help guys!

Sean Cribbs <sean at basho.com>
Software Engineer
Basho Technologies, Inc.