connection fail over

Brian Roach roach at basho.com
Tue Mar 27 11:29:06 EDT 2012

Zheng,

By using a cluster client (HTTPClusterClient or PBClusterClient) you would get not only fail-over on an operation failure but also round-robin balancing of operations across your nodes.

When you create either a HTTPClusterClient or a PBClusterClient you provide a list of Raik nodes. When performing an operation there's a Retrier object that is used by the Bucket object. The default Retrier tries an operation 3 times before reporting a failure. On each try, a different node is selected from the list of Riak nodes (this same mechanism also gives you load balancing across the nodes in your list in a round-robin fashion).
The only deficiency here is that a node is never failed completely out of the list or deprioritized in any way. We do have plans to add a pluggable load balancing feature at some point that would allow for the end user to implement whatever scheme they would like.
I've recently started work on a Riak Java client "Cookbook" and have an example of how to create a cluster client here: https://github.com/basho/riak-java-client/wiki/ClientFactory

Thanks,
Brian Roach