[ANN] Riak CS

Andrey V. Martyanov realduke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 09:12:05 EDT 2012

Hi Mark,

Thank you for sharing the information! AWS S3 is awesome, but it has one
major disadvantage - it's not possible to set custom headers. There is a
big thread on their forum [1], but despite of many complaints they haven't
fixed it. It's not possible to control CORS and the only working solution
is flash uploading with xml-based policy. Also, when you directly upload
files, it's possible to setup redirect url and upon successful upload S3
service redirects and attach file specific arguments to the url, but upon
unsuccessful upload it shows you an xml page with an error. I don't know
why it work the way it works, but it seems so easy to customize their
service backend and provide these useful features to their clients. It
confuses me. Now we have a proxy server that proxies the uploads to S3 and
sets custom headers. So, my question. Is it possible to customize per-file
headers and what additional advantages Riak CS has?

Thank you!

[1] https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=34281

Best regards,
Andrey Martyanov