[ANN] Riak CS

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Mar 28 13:20:30 EDT 2012

Hi Misha

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Mikhail Sobolev <mss at mawhrin.net> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 05:54:54PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > I just wanted to take a second and share some details on a new Riak-based
> > product that Basho announced today.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > * Large Object Support
> Does it mean the the retired Luwak was replaced with something that is
> not going to be available in an open-source version?

We've talked about our motivations for writing a new large file storage
component before on the mailing list [1][2]. The Luwak code [3] will
continue to be available and open source, and anyone who is ambitious and
determined is invited to take over the code and continue its development.
I'll happily include your changes in the Recap. :)

The new large file component does not share a single line of code with
Luwak. Our commitment to open source remains as strong as ever and, in
addition to the many libraries we maintain [4] and contribute to, we'll
continue to release new code as rapidly as our product road map allows.

I'm happy to answer any further questions about this on-list, off, or over
the phone.

Mark
413.335.2332

[1]