Guaranteeing N physical copies

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Wed Mar 28 14:42:52 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Reverend Chip <rev.chip at gmail.com> wrote:

> The docs state re replication that "There are no guarantees that the
> three replicas will go to three separate physical nodes."  What
> configuration *does* provide such a guarantee?  Is there some number of
> physical nodes > N where having N physical copies is guaranteed?

In Riak 1.1.x, four or more physical nodes and a stock n_val of 3 will
almost guarantee (*very* close to 100% of the time) you have physical
copies on distinct physical nodes. We will be able to guarantee this
absolutely in the future (though I can't give a precise timeline on when
that work will be completed).

Mark