Riak Join is Screwed Up

Rebecca Meritz rebecca.meritz at klarna.com
Thu May 3 02:41:40 EDT 2012

I'm testing a script that joins my riak ring on all machines. There is no
data in the database yet but I have repeated joined the ring
an separated it while working on the script that sets up the environment on
my machines. The ring is now in a bizarre state:

[rebecca]$ riak-admin member_status
Attempting to restart script through sudo -u riak
================================= Membership
==================================
Status     Ring    Pending    Node
valid      50.0%      --      'riak at XX.XXX.XX.10'
valid      50.0%      --      'riak at XX.XXX.XX.12'
Valid:2 / Leaving:0 / Exiting:0 / Joining:0 / Down:0
[pay at payment-testing-gw2 ~]$ riak-admin join riak at XX.XXX.XX.14
Attempting to restart script through sudo -u riak
*Failed: This node is already a member of a cluster*
[pay at payment-testing-gw2 ~]$ riak-admin force-remove riak at XX.XXX.XX.14
Attempting to restart script through sudo -u riak
*Failed: "riak at XX.XXX.XX.14" is not a member of the cluster.*

I cannot join a new member nor can I remove it.

I've tried stop them all get them to leave, if they wouldn't leave I forced
their removal. I stopped them all. I even deleted the whole old ring file
before restarting.

How can I fix this situations. What causes the above error?

Thanks,
Rebecca