beam.smp idle cpu usage.

Andrew Thompson andrew at hijacked.us
Thu May 24 11:50:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:28:26PM +1000, hankin wrote:
> I installed riak v1.1.2 via the 64bit deb package a few days ago.
>
> I have done almost nothing with it, there is only one server.  But beam.smp
> has already used up 15 mins of CPU according to 'top'.
> When I watch 'top',  beam.smp seems to be using up 0.01 second of the cpu
> every second.  This doesn't seem to happen with other databases.

Riak does several things periodically, including gossip the ring,
checking for handoff and checking for fallback vnodes with data in them.

Basicially this is riak trying to keep your data safe. Maybe other
databases don't do this, but they also may not have the same data
resiliancy that Riak does.

Andrew