What kind of protocol are used between Riak nodes?

Justin Sheehy justin at basho.com
Mon May 28 14:24:54 EDT 2012

Hi, Alek.

On May 28, 2012, at 1:40 PM, Alek Morfi wrote:

> What kind of protocol is used betwwen Riak nodes to communicate. Because if all Riak nodes are located in the same cluster (LAN network scale) there is no problem.
> But when Riak nodes are located on different clusters which are connected through Internet, there are some limitations. Because some ISPs only allow communicating by HTTP and SMTP protocol and I am wondering how Riak nodes can communicate over the Internet.

Within a single Riak cluster, nodes communicate with each other using the Erlang distribution protocol. There are a number of reasons within Riak's design -- this just being one of them -- why spreading a Riak cluster across a wide area is not recommended.

The Riak Enterprise system (http://basho.com/products/riak-overview/) uses an entirely different protocol for managing long-haul communication, and also uses a different methodology. In that system we do not spread a single cluster widely, but rather create a topology of one cluster per datacenter, with each of those connected to each other.

-Justin