riak search and basic write operations

Brian Roach roach at basho.com
Tue Oct 2 18:24:29 EDT 2012

Greetings!

First and foremost, search and secondary indexes (2i) are not the same thing.

You need to enable 2i and use the ELevelDB backend as described here:
http://wiki.basho.com/Secondary-Indexes---Configuration-and-Examples.html

Secondly, the default Converter (JSONConverter) in the Java client
does support serializing/deserializing of secondary indexes. The page
you link to in the cookbook is demonstrating how to write your own
custom converter (for something other than JSON), and its first
example does not support them.

Enable 2i in Riak, annotate your POJO as you have, and use the default
Converter and you should be fine; nothing else is needed.