riak join a node( with data) to a cluster

Ryan Zezeski rzezeski at basho.com
Fri Oct 5 12:30:41 EDT 2012

Venki,

You can join node C to A or B but until hinted handoff occurs you will get
not founds for your data.  That is, it will look like your data is lost.
 The reason is because the riak join logic assumes the joining node is void
of data.  When a new node joins it immediately takes on the state of the
cluster.  Thus all the primary partitions currently on C become fallbacks,
but those fallbacks aren't active in any preflists since all the primaries
are up  This will result in not founds until hinted handoff kicks in.

In your situation, if you cannot tolerate the not founds, then dismantle
the A & B cluster, install fresh on those nodes, then join A & B,
individually, to C.  That way A & B will take on some of the data owned by
C without not founds occurring.

-Z