Riak Recap for September 27 - October 17

Mark Phillips mark at basho.com
Thu Oct 18 13:52:49 EDT 2012

Morning, Afternoon, Evening to All -

OK. Now that RICON is behind us (sadly), there is time for Recaps. :)
It has been about three weeks, so we have a lot to cover. Grab a glass
of coffee, Fanta, or Dom and settle in.

And if I missed anything, I apologize. Send it my way.

Off we go...

Mark
twitter.com/pharkmillups
-----------------------------------

Riak Recap for September 27 - October 17
===============================

1) There are a good amount of RICON slides online already:

* All (or most) the talks from the Basho Devs who presented are here
---> https://speakerdeck.com/u/basho/
* Other slides, code, and blogs are here --->
http://basho.com/community/ricon2012_live/#resources

2) We are about two weeks out from all the RICON talk videos being online.

* Sign up here to be notified
--->https://docs.google.com/a/basho.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEc2TFNaQWdLa2RvSVBWVXAxVHVSVGc6MQ

3) The first Riak Stockholm meetup is happening on November 1st.

* Details and sign up here --->
http://www.meetup.com/Stockholm-Riak-and-NoSQL-Meetup-Group

4) Thew crew at Xing has some code that will quickly build a Riak dev
cluster on OS X.

* On GitHub here ---> https://github.com/xing/riak-dev-cluster

5) Slides from Sean Cribbs' Surge talk "Scaling Riak in Production" are online.

* Browse here ---> https://speakerdeck.com/u/basho/p/sean-cribbs-on-scaling-ria

6) Matt Snyder wrote a blog post about an issue he and his team hit
using 2i with Nginx.

* Read here --->
http://www.cranialpulse.com/2012/10/why-nginx-kept-riaks-secondary.html

7) Andrew Stopford and a few others are working on getting a Riak
Meetup off the ground in Manchester, UK.

* Get involved here --->
https://twitter.com/andystopford/status/252862855844593664

8) Some Riak cookbooks from the higans-works crew are on GitHub.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/higanworks-cookbooks/riak-cluster

9) Chris Meikiejohn gave a talk a few weeks back about using Ember.js
to build Riak Control.

* Slides here --->
https://speakerdeck.com/u/cmeiklejohn/p/a-brief-introduction-to-ember-dot-js

10) It looks like John Hughes will be talking (to some extent) about
Riak in his QConSF talk next month.

* Details here --->  http://qconsf.com/sf2012/speaker/John+Hughes

11) Someone else is working on a Riak YCSB plugin.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/Altoros/YCSB/tree/master/src/riak

12) There's a new release of the Riak Smartmachine offered by Joyent.

* Details here --->
http://wiki.joyent.com/wiki/display/jpc2/Riak+SmartMachine+Release+Notes

13) There is a plethora of new posts on the Basho Blog announcing a
lot of good news and code:

* Riak Puppet Module is official --->
http://basho.com/blog/technical/2012/10/17/Riak-Puppet-Module-Now-Official/
* Riak Package Repos are now online --->
http://basho.com/blog/technical/2012/10/16/Basho-Package-Repos-Now-Online/
* Riak is now available on the MSFT Azure platform --->
http://basho.com/blog/technical/2012/10/09/Riak-on-Microsoft-Azure/
* The Azure team also wrote a post about this --->
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2012/10/09/riak-is-now-available-on-windows-azure.aspx
* The Riak Docs are all new --->
http://basho.com/blog/technical/2012/10/08/new-basho-documenation/

14) Tom Santero and Sean Carey are bringing Riak to the ATL DevOps
Meetup Tonight.

* Details here ---> http://www.meetup.com/DevOpsATL/events/82032472/

15) A lot of Node.js code from the community:

* Nathan Aschbacher and the Coradine team released 0.0.7 of nodiak
--->  https://npmjs.org/package/nodiak
* Nathan Lafreniere's simple-riak continues to get more solid --->
https://npmjs.org/package/simpleriak
* Basho's fork of riak-js is coming along quite nicely. Latest here
---> https://github.com/basho-labs/riak-js

16) Joe Devivo et al released Riak Test at RICON. This is what we use
to test Riak internally, and you should find this *quite* useful for
your own purposes.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/basho/riak_test
* There's also a front end for this called giddyup --->
https://github.com/basho/giddyup

17) Sean Cribbs and Russell Brown announced the availability of the
riak_dt code (a.k.a "CRDTs") at RICON.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/basho/riak_dt
* Bryce Kerley rolled it into a gem --->
https://github.com/bkerley/riak-dt-ruby

18) Ken Perkins stepped off the mound for a few minutes to film a
video about Clipboard and was spotted wearing a Riak shirt.

* Details here --->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BAAhf8Xt-yA&t=2m50s

19) Randy Secrist is giving a Riak talk tomorrow night at the Utah
Hadoop User Group.

* Details here --->  http://www.uhug.org/tags/riak/

20) The team at Equal Experts wrote a Intro blog post about Riak.

* Read here --->
http://equalexperts.com/home/Introduction_to_Riak_DeNormalised_NoSQL_Conference.html

21) The team at Cloudability is working on a Ruby client.

* Read here --->  https://github.com/cloudability/better-riak-client

22) Ryan Zezeski has been up to all sorts of goodness with Yokozuna,
his Riak and Solr integration.

* Dig around here for the latest ---> https://github.com/rzezeski/yokozuna

23) Dave Parfitt's Ocaml Client for Riak is coming along at a good
clip (and he officially added his first contributor!).

* Latest here ---> https://github.com/metadave/riak-ocaml-client/

24) Uenishi Kota is doing some work to integrate Riak with the Fluent
logging framework.

* Code here --->  https://github.com/kuenishi/fluent-plugin-riak

25) A few blog posts from the community about RICON

* Dan Ostrowski liked it --->
http://danostrowski.blogspot.com/2012/10/post-ricon-2012-idea-fragment-embed.html
* Adron Hall liked it --->
http://compositecode.com/2012/10/10/coders-vacation-ricon2012-shreds-the-house/

26) A video of Casey Rosenthal talking about Erlang and Riak popped up
from EF Lite in Vancouver a few months back.

* Watch here ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz33cLfYog4

27) The team at Validas is working on some code that complements
Ripple when indexing your Riak documents.

* Code here ---> https://github.com/validas/Ripplr

28) There's a Riak plugin for Hyperion

* Code here --->  http://rubygems.org/gems/hyperion-riak

29) Aphyr wrote a blog post about burning libraries.

http://aphyr.com/posts/254-burn-the-library