Is Riak suitable for s small-record write-intensive billion-records application?

Guido Medina guido.medina at temetra.com
Fri Oct 19 07:57:22 EDT 2012

Riak is all about high availability, if eventually consistent data is
not a problem OR, you can cover those aspects of the CAP concept with an
in-memory caching system and a sort of a locking mechanism to emulate
the core atomic action of your application (put-if-absent) then I would
say, you are in the right place, now, Riak uses bloom filters and the
hashing mechanism from Google code (this is not my expertise though so I
could be wrong), you should be fine by letting Riak manage your hashing
and equals concept

And from the Java world, if Object A equals Object B then Object A hash
equals Object B hash, not the opposite though, two object can have the
same hash and still not be equal. If that is what you are referring to
by "symmetric".

Hashing a key is a no brainier job if Riak delegates that to whatever
best practice algorithm should be use for hashing, in this case I
strongly believe they are using Google's algorithms, all indicates they
do because of the Bloom filters (To tidy up both concepts they should
somehow) they are using from Google.

All this said, it is at your hands and tools to have an in-memory cache
and locking mechanism.

HTH !!!

Guido.