Is Riak suitable for s small-record write-intensive billion-records application?

Guido Medina guido.medina at temetra.com
Fri Oct 19 09:02:27 EDT 2012

It depends, if you have siblings enabled at the bucket, then you need to
resolve the conflicts using the object vclock, if you are not using
delegating that tasks to Riak, with siblings, eventually I ran Riak out
in speed of the writes making Riak fail (Due to LevelDB write speed?).
And with last write wins then I don't think you would want unexpected
results, and hence my recommendation: We use two things to resolve such
issues; in-memory cache + locking mechanism.

If you are concerned about locking mechanism speed, you can use MapMaker
from Guava framework ((at least in Java) which provides a concurrency
level making your application concurrently speaking...fast !!!, and for
cache, you could use either Guava or EHCache, now, what I don't have, is
a distributed locking mechanism (one of this days I will built a
distributed re-entrant locking mechanism base on REST for the sake of it)

For the last quote, the locking mechanism if well designed will always
take care of that.

Regards,

Guido.