Logging chat messages

Guido Medina guido.medina at temetra.com
Tue Oct 23 06:05:43 EDT 2012

   I know you want to follow a criteria for sorting messages, you could
stamp each message up to the second precision (storing milliseconds
would be a problem) and index them by day (YYYYMMDD), so that way you
can find by day using 2i search, and sort by time, so the ID won't be
needed for sorting, that way your design will be more loose, no need for
synchronization of any type.

   Now if you really need a sequence, if you feel compelled to use a
sequence, just use a dummy database sequence, any PostgreSQL or MySQL
service can do that for you, but if you want your app to be loosely
couple and just exploit the Riak cluster as much as possible, UUID will
be your winning ticket for message ID. If you are unsure UUID will be
unique, add another criteria and prefix the UUID with something like
sender, etc.

Guido.