Deleting items from search index increases disk usage

Jeremy Raymond jeraymond at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:26:27 EDT 2012

I've posted the list of buffer files [1] and segment files [2].

The current data set I have in Riak is static, so no new items are
being written. So this looks like the reason as to why compaction
isn't happening since there is no time based trigger on the merge
index. To get compaction to kick in, I should be able to to just
reindex (by reading and rewriting) some of the existing items in
buckets that are still indexed? Earlier today I upgraded to Riak 1.2
and ran a Search read repair [3] in an attempt to kick of compaction.
Compaction didn't kick in, but instead disk consumption increased
again. Should Search Repair trigger compaction or only writing objects
to the KV store?

[1]:https://gist.github.com/3982718
[2]:https://gist.github.com/3982730
[3]:http://docs.basho.com/riak/latest/cookbooks/Repairing-Search-Indexes/#Running-a